Round The Wicket: Cricket, life and random thoughts

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

An Ode to College Life

There was a time I made a wish: “Give me a time full of fun! Where work n play go together, And life’s always on the run ...” I didn’t realize it at the time, But the Lord up there had heard, He planted me in my college, And said, “Wish granted ol’ bird!” He took the work part seriously: Exams, assignments en bloc! But the fun element wasn’t missed, And life really began to rock ... The years were four but how they flew Before I could even realize, Don’t know how much I’ve really learnt, But I’ve sure got worldly wise! First year seemed daunting to all, An unknown devil had appeared ... Talk was of low pass percentages And exams that everyone feared!

This was also a time for change, Nothing was to remain the same. New faces grew into new friends, And friends for life they became ...

Into the second year now ... Life zipping in the fast lane, I trooped round college fests, And had a blast in the bargain! But exams continued unabated, We were all completely immune! Nonetheless they weren’t much fun As we danced glumly to their tune. Meanwhile an art was perfected, That of cogging assignments blind. We churned out reams of paper, With an original word hard to find!!

Third year soon reared its head, “Placements time” everyone roared. “Who’ll seriously pay to take me?”, Was my first reaction to the horde!

Believe it or not there was a taker, And an offer I managed to land! Everyone else snared a job too, But most had other things planned ...

As final year descended upon us, The techies bore the GRE load. Lesser mortals like myself though, Embarked on the CAT prep road. There’re plenty more memories I have, Four wonderful years these’ve been! Memories of long chats in the trains ... And of laughter in the campus canteen!

Racing to complete submissions, And quaking as vivas would loom, And of course how can I forget Long hours in the xerox room?!

And now it’s the final semester, The reality is beginning to dawn. Two months down the road and This cocoon called college is gone ...

An air of gloom is descending, As mates will soon part ways. I think we are all aware that These were life’s finest days.

But there’s also a sense of excitement At the prospect of a new adventure. The past’s been a great experience, Let’s hope the same for the future ...

Maybe I should stick to the recipe, And squeeze in one more wish ... The Lord may just have the ingredients For yet another delectable dish!

6 Comments:

  • FANTASTIC!!!!!....Saw our entire college life flash by.....Really a damn cool poem...No words worthy enough to praise it...

    By Blogger Harsh, at 4/06/2005 08:54:00 AM  

  • Thanks folks!

    By Blogger Madhav, at 4/06/2005 10:41:00 PM  

  • ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!
    couldn't have summed it up better myself. you've really really managed to capture the essence of being a B.E., Univ of Mumbai.
    One can really identify with the poem - all its shades, flow and sentiments!
    Thanks a tonne for sending me on a trip down memory lane!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/07/2005 11:38:00 AM  

  • hi madhav a really nice 1 worth reading over again and agian

    By Blogger darshan, at 4/08/2005 03:42:00 AM  

  • POETIC BRILLIANCE!!!
    Excellently concieved and written...pretty much encapsulated all 4 years of engineering...keep it up!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/02/2005 01:29:00 AM  

  • Beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/13/2005 06:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home